I mentioned in my last post that I recently moved. My new place has a basement that makes for a perfect gear storage and bike workshop. I took advantage of that space to do a frame swap for my commuter. Bye-bye On-One Pompetamine. Your rear dropouts and disc caliper mount were a pain in my ass and it was time to replace you with something that just worked.
Welcome, Salsa Vaya. You sure are a sexy commute bike.
2014 Salsa Vaya Build and Basement Workshop full post
(615 words, 9 images, estimated 2:28 mins reading time)
It has indeed been awhile since my last update. I’ve been BUSY trying to get my thesis done. I really haven’t done much GPS tracking of any rides lately because I’ve just been riding when I can. And lately, that’s meant lots of commuting duty so I can keep my cycling legs under me.
The Pompetamine has been getting some miles on it lately. It’s also had some changes since I posted up my original build pics. Here’s what I’ve done to it:
Long Time No Post full post
(969 words, 5 images, estimated 3:53 mins reading time)
Ok, so I’ve had to shift gears regarding the commuter bike project because the old Trek was just the wrong size frame. I ended up selling off that old Trek and buying an On-One Pompetamine frame/fork. This is a steel 700c road bike with track dropouts and disc brake mounts. It goes so far with the disc brake mounts that they’re the ONLY brake option for this frame. I bought one in a glow-in-the-dark paint scheme (the fork was not available in that color, so I went with black).
Road Bike Commuter Project 3 full post
(513 words, 7 images, estimated 2:03 mins reading time)
I picked up an old Trek 420 road bike from the Bike Shop recently with the goal of turning it into a better commuter than the one I’ve been using. My old commuter is just an old mountain bike with some lights, reflective tape, and a horn. Not especially fast on the road.
I did a post about it earlier this summer. Like I said, it’s not fast. I use it because I have it, and that’s pretty much about it. My goal with the Trek is to turn it into a simple, reliable commuter with fenders, a rack, and a new life.
Road Bike Commuter Project full post
(459 words, 2 images, estimated 1:50 mins reading time)
I didn’t post any updates for awhile and I apologize. I had finals to deal with and hardly went to the office at all. And when I did, there was bad weather brewing so I wound up driving. So Week 2 was a wash. I didn’t bike to work, but then again I hardly drove, either. Week 3 was another matter. I biked in most of the week but wound up driving a couple of days for inclement weather forecasts. The forecast bad weather those days didn’t end up happening until well after dark, so I felt cheated.
For the first week of bike month, I was able to commute every day of the week, totaling about 35mi. Weight 178.2, BF 12.3% (I was apparently dehydrated when I stepped on the scale). Not a huge amount, but I do have a short commute. I compiled a video showing one of my route options (the one with some dirt).
Week 1 Bike Month from TheGPSGeek on Vimeo.
Here’s my main commuter: It’s a 2000 Diamondback Topanga Comp.
Bike Month Week 1 full post
(565 words, 5 images, estimated 2:16 mins reading time)