I got an air compressor (well, a gift card for one – because we weren’t going to haul one 2,000 miles with us on our trip to visit family for the holidays) from my wife for Christmas. I ended up choosing a portable Kobalt compressor for my uses, since I mostly just want it for inflating tires (car and bike) and for the occasional other random use (like installing/removing grips and for blowing dirt out of my drivetrain). The inflator and hose that come with the Kobalt compressor are pretty lame, though. There’s not even a pressure gauge on the schrader inflator.
After my experiment with inflating standard tires dry on UST rims, it was quickly obvious that I needed a sealant in order to use them tubeless.
I did some searching on homemade tire sealants and I stumbled across the WSS Open Source Sealant.
The basic recipe is as follows:
1 part Latex mold builder
1 part Slime tubeless
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water
I sought to modify the recipe a little. I am just not a fan of the extremely toxic nature of ethylene glycol, especially to pets. The stuff is extremely sweet to them and for something that’s likely to be weeping out of the sidewalls of my tires, I don’t want the local wildlife getting a taste.
I’ve been interested in trying tubeless tires on my mountain bike for a long time. I bought the Mavic CrossTrail UST Disc wheelset for my bike many years ago partly with the idea that I’d eventually try it out. I had a fairly new set of tubed tires at the time and I didn’t want to spring for $120 worth of rubber with those wheels at the time.
Well, I’ve been rocking those tires for awhile and decided to get some new tires this season. I wanted to get the Continental Mountain Kings because they looked and sounded like they’d be a good tread pattern for my local trails. I also wanted some big tires to help float over the sand.